What is WebbotLib Studio?
It's a single download site that gives you everything you need to program micro-controller chips:
- A C/C++ Compiler
- An Integrated Development Environment (IDE) providing
- The ability to publish your own boards, projects and libraries to share with others. No longer do you have to just rely on me - the whole community can contribute individual parcels of work.
- Cross platform: Windows, Unix and maybe Mac (if I can find a way to test it without buying one!)
- Could be expanded to work with other chip designs (PIC or ARM for example) as well as existing AVR support
- Select the WebbotLib Studio download sites that you trust and select which boards, devices, projects and libraries you want to install or check for updated versions.
How does it compare?
The obvious competition is:-
- AVR Studio 6 from ATmel. But that only supports their (AVR) chips and AVR Studio only works in Windows as it based on Microsoft technology. But their IDE has all the bells and whistles you would expect from a company that has produced C compilers for decades.... So its big and its complicated for the newbie and ties you to Windows and AVR.
- Arduino. Their environment supports other operating systems beyond Windows (with some effort) but only targets Arduino compliant AVR board designs.The text editor is, when I last checked,a glorified version of Notepad missing modern IDE features. So its (too) simple for the newbie and ties you to their boards.
Obviously both of the above are based on quite mature technologies - but, hey, we all have to start somewhere !
Where do I buy WebbotLib Studio?
You don't - it's free.
Where do I download WebbotLib Studio?
The current version is always available here
What about documentation?
Still work in progress but the latest API documentation can always be seen here